View Sendai Immigration Office in a larger map

Immigration Office
(入国管理局 Nyukoku Kanrikyoku)

Re-issuance of residence card

In the case of a lost residence card, you will need to have it re-issued. In Japanese this is called 在留カードの再交付申請 (zairyu card no sai kofu shinsei). The following steps need to be taken to have it re-issued:>

1. You need to report the loss of your residency card to the police, by submitting a 喪失届(soshitsu todoke). The police will register your loss and give you a number to give to the Immigration Office.
2. Complete an 'application for re-issuance of a residence card ' which can be found on the Ministry of Justice website here. Take this with you to the Immigration Office.
3. A 40 mm x 30 mm photograph.
4. Passport with proof of valid visa.

Re-entry permit
(再入国許可書 Sai nyukoku kyokasho )
From July 9, 2012, foreign nationals residing in Japan with current visas will no longer require a re-entry permit to enter Japan.

Visa extension
(在留期間更新許可申請書 Zairyukikan koshinkyoka shinsa )
If you're here for over 3 years – for 4th year ALTs, or for traveling/visiting friends after your contract period ends. Download an application form from the Ministry of Justice website here. Have your school (not shidoka) complete the 3rd page of the application.

You will need to take the following to the immigration office:

1. Passport and residency card (alien registration card).
2. A recent photo 4cm x 3cm.
3. The completed application form with the relevant section filled out by your school.
4. 4000 yen in the form of 収入印紙 (shunyu inshi) or revenue stamps obtained from the post office.

Immigration will have you fill out a self addressed post card. This will be sent to your home address to inform you that your visa application has been processed. Upon receiving the postcard you need to return to the immigration office to receive your renewed visa. This information is updated on your residency card.
Applications are accepted up to 3 months before a visa is due to expire.

Change of Status of Residence
Zairyuu shikaku henkou kyoka shinseisho )
For changing visa status (marriage, new job). Submitting an application costs 4000 yen.

For more information on Japan's new residency management system, please see the Immigration Bureau of Japan website.

What do I need to take?
• Your passport
• Your alien registration
• The fee in revenue stamps (called shunyu inshi – buy them at the post office before going).

Transferring your visa into a new passport
In the case where your passport has been renewed, take your new passport, old passport and your alien registration card (or resident's card) in to the Sendai Immigration office. They should swap it over for you within 5~10 minutes.


By train: Take the Senseki Line from Sendai to Tsutsujigaoka Station. Get off and walk through the park. You should see the NTT Building, the immigration office is just behind it.

On foot: About 15-20 minutes from Sendai Station. Follow the big street called Miyagino-dori out the back of the Station (East exit) to Tsutsujigaoka Station. From there cross through the park and look for the NTT building, the immigration office is just behind it.

By bus: This may be the easiest. Wait at bus stop #35 or #36, which are on Aoba-dori next to the Sakurano (さくら野)
You can take any of the following four buses:
200: Gamou (蒲生) stop #35
205: Takasago Godanchi (高砂団地) stop #35
210: Higashi Sendai Eigyou Sho (東仙台営業所) stop #36
215: Shinden Nichoume Higashi (新田二丁目東) stop #36

• Ride the bus about five stops to Haranomachi-itchome; it takes about 5 minutes to get there. The bus fare is 180 yen.
• You'll actually pass the Immigration Office, so when exiting the bus, walk to your left towards Sendai Station.
• At the intersection, you'll need to go straight across and cross over to the left-hand side of the street.
• Keep walking in the direction of Sendai Station. The Immigration Office will be on your left-hand side. Enter the parking lot and it will be the smaller of the two buildings.

When are they open?
Monday to Friday, 9:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00

What is the procedure
Enter the two story brown building closest to the road.
• Tell the receptionist what you're there for.
• You will have a consultation with a clerk, fill out the proper forms for the service you want, plus a "certificate of fee payment", and s/he will check your documentation. If you are applying for extension of period of stay, you will fill out a post card with your address.
• Take a number, then submit the forms to the immigration official at the proper window. The official will take the paperwork and your documents and give you a number.
• When your number is called, pick up your documents (passport will have a new visa sticker in it), and submit the payment form with the revenue stamp on it, if you applied for a re-entry permit. Then you are done – enjoy traveling!

If you applied for anything else, when your number is called, they take your documents, and tell you to come back when they send you the post card you filled out previously. This usually takes a couple of weeks. When you get it in the mail, take it, your passport and the fee payment/inshi to the office again, and they will add the visa sticker. Then you're all done until it expires again.

1-3-20 Gorin, Miyagino-ku
Phone number: 256-6076