Yakkan Shomei Certificate
The following documents are required to apply for a yakkan shomei Certificate: (refer to samples on right hand side)
1.'Medication Import Form. This is available from the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan in your home country.
2. Customs Declaration Form .
3. Product Description Form . This is a detailed description of the exact contents (a separate form is required for each product).
4. Your Medical Prescription
Your Medical Prescription must be submitted. Depending on the medication, there may be some items you can buy without a prescription in your country. However, please be sure to attach a doctor's prescription.
* In addition, new JETs intending to bring medication to Japan will need a document indicating the date of arrival in Japan. This may be a copy of your plane ticket or even a statement from the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan regarding your participation on the JET Programme, which indicates the date of your arrival in Japan.
(1) New JETs must mail the application form and all necessary documents (see above) to CLAIR (address below) at least 3 weeks prior to arrival in Japan. If the application is not submitted at least 3 weeks prior to your arrival in Japan, you may not be able to receive the certificate at the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan. Faxed applications will not be accepted.
(2) CLAIR will submit your application to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan.
(3) The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare will screen your application.
If there are any problems with your application, there is a possibility of the application being rejected. Be sure to have your application in order, and be prepared to make alternative arrangements (such as finding a comparable medication in Japan) should your application be denied. Therefore, please submit your application early.
(4) If the application is approved, the yakkan shomei certificate will be sent by mail from the Kanto-Shinetsu Health and Welfare Bureau to CLAIR.
(5) CLAIR will forward the yakkan shomei to the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan in your home country.
(6) The JET participant must pick up the certificate at the Embassy or Consulate General of Japan and bring it with them when they come to Japan. The Embassy or Consulate General of Japan will also notify JET participants whose applications have been rejected.
Note: If a family member is applying on the JET's behalf, please write the JET number, name and the relationship to the JET in the remarks column.
Mail your application to:
TEL +81-3-3591-5486 FAX +81-3-3591-5350
For further information, contact:
Kanto-Shinetsu Health and Welfare Bureau
Saitama Shintoshin National Government Building No.1,
7F 1-1 Shintoshin,
Saitama JAPAN 330-9713
For reference, see "Importing or Bringing Medication into Japan for Personal Use" on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website: www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/import/index.html